Some important rules to know as a competitor. If rules are broken, one or both in the couple might get penalty or get suspended.
- It’s a couple dance so there must be one leader and one follower.
- Choreography patterns are not allowed.
- The dance must be done in the normal direction of the dance counter clockwise.
- At least 50% of the dance must contain slows and quicks (half timing and normal timing).
- At least 90% of the dance must contain physical contact between leader and follower.
- Any kinds of moves where feet is above floor (lifts) are not allowed.
- Supported moves (dips) where the feet have contact with the floor are allowed.
- Supported moves (dips) where more body parts then the feet have contact with the floor are not allowed.
- Sabotage or disturbing other competitors are not allowed.
- Consideration and humbleness to your partner is considerable.
As competitor you will be judged on following categories:
- Characteristics of the dance
- Conformation to your partner
- Patterns and styling
- Continuity and feeling
This is the recommendation from NSDC – the higher the category is the more important it is!
… different judges will have different opinions on each of these categories and each judge will look at these categories differently.
As long as each judge can explain his or her opinion, it is OK to have different opinions.